Sunday 4 March 2018

Hawfinches of Haldon Forest

The autumn and early winter of 2017 saw one of the largest eruptions of hawfinches into the country for decades. Impressive numbers of these stunning finches were seen across much of England and Wales during the early winter and Devon also had its fair share. A private woodland in the county recorded over 100 birds leaving roosts on several occasions and sightings were then soon reported from Haldon Forest.

Haldon is a very large area of mixed coniferous and deciduous forest and heath run by the Forestry Commission near Chudleigh. It is a very large site though, so even locating the area where the birds were frequenting was a challenge. After going down the wrong tracks several times, I eventually bumped into other birders and found the area the birds were last seen. 

(Haldon Forest)

However there was no sign of them at first in the usual hornbeams they regularly feed in, so I started exploring other areas of suitable habitat. After some 45 minutes of exploring, I found a male and female bird in an oak tree at the edge of the wood. These birds showed brilliantly and even posed for a few pictures. I then decided to explore some of the nearby conifer plantation area for crossbills but was soon distracted by the croaks of ravens. 

(Hawfinch Haldon Forest)

I found a small window in the canopy above me to look up at the sky and spotted two ravens circling, but they appeared to be mobbing something else out of sight. I then suddenly caught sight of a raptor. Even on first glance through my binoculars at this bird, it made my heart skip a beat. With a very deep body, boldly streaked under-parts with a slightly buff colouration and a powerful head and piercing golden eye, I could see I was looking at a juvenile northern goshawk. 

(Goshawk Haldon Forest)

I only managed one record shot and the sighting was fairly brief, but I was left with a huge smile on my face for the rest of the day. Seeing this rare and secretive forest dweller is always a red letter day, especially in Devon. As if that wasn’t good enough a firecrest then even put in an appearance, working its way along a hedgerow close by.

(Firecrest Haldon Forest)

After all this excitement, I headed back to the hornbeans where the hawfinches were frequenting most. This time I found a flock of at least 20 birds perching up and then feeding on the remaining seeds.

The day was finished with a flyover common crossbill and a great view of a herd of fallow deer in the forest clearings. 


(Fallow deer Haldon Forest)


(Fallow Deer Haldon Forest)


No comments:

Post a Comment